FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Premium Fare Gone]: CX: Vietnam to North America from $674 (J) and $1100 (F)
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:31 am
Global321

Originally Posted by mcdullhk88
But for those looking to skip the final HKG-Vietnam segment, could we at least get the NA-HKG boarding pass without having the visa? Same-day connections are difficult I presume, but I wonder if those with overnight in HKG can get away with it.
Originally Posted by TravelNYC

Great question as I’m looking to do the same. I did go to SGN last year via NRT (only 3hr layover) on JAL from the US. I wish I remembered more clearly but from what I recall it was at boarding in Narita that I was asked to present the evisa, they wouldn’t have let me on the flight to SGN without. I’m fairly sure I didn’t present the evisa at checkin in the US but honestly not 100% certain. So I don’t think I would need the evisa to get to HKG but given how cheap and easy the evisa is, I’m going to get an extra one just in case. Better safe than sorry...
I think the best advice is already out there... you are supposed to have the evisa for this booking... you will most likely be asked for it when you check-in in the USA... there is a chance you can get away without it and not board the HKG-Vietnam flight... but it is a fairly big risk... versus paying as little as $25 for the evisa . YMMV

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
+1. Not worth the risk, even if the risk might be small.
Absolutely - how dumb would one feel being denied boarding/losing a CX FC flight ... for $25!