FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA cards: General discussion and PUBLIC online offers (2019-2020)
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:11 am
IkeEsq

Originally Posted by tmiw
Per DoC, it's a possibility for the AA cards. That said, I have no idea what criteria's used to trigger it, assuming it's still possible. And it's not the end of the world to have to wait, either, though it would have been nice to be able to add it to my mobile wallet and begin working towards minimum spend right away.
You might want to read that DoC post more carefully as well as the comments. It is three years old and I don't see any indication of anyone actually getting a virtual account number, only that a Rep said that it was possible. In the comments, someone claims that you can only get one if you have an existing Citi bank account or credit card account. However, they were unable to actually get one. Other comments note:
December 18,2017:
Data point for Citi cards, specifically the Diamond Preferred: I was approved for it and was given an instant TEMPORARY account number, expiration, and 3 code to use until the card arrived, but only 10% of the credit limit.
Not sure what a 'Diamond Preferred' card is/was but note you could only use 10% of CL.
June 27, 2018:

Report a DP: Asked and get a Temporary Credit Card Information for newly approved Citi AAdvantage Select Platinum Credit Card through a phone call. The representative said the number will expire after once use and can only be used towards airline ticket purchase. Would confirm if its true later.
Restricted to airline purchases, no follow-up as to whether or not it worked.

Personally, I have never heard of anyone getting a virtual account before on a Citi AAdvantage Platinum card.