FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:09 am
Platy

Originally Posted by QRC3288
I definitely don't extend the argument to other forms of discounting like ID, etc, and I think that's disingenuous. Why? Because those types of ticketing are well planned for. It is regular.

But, still I see this as another mark where mostly overseas travelers benefit, at the expense of those (few) of us locals who pay the price.
Excellent post (IMHO).

A couple of points for consideration:

1) Any competent organisation maintains a risk management plan - an error in entering a fare categorisation would feature in such (it happens and has high impact): this immediately negates your argument that a "mistake" fare is "not planned for".

2) Parochialism is in fact a form a discrimination - the very attribute you deny. We all have our local issue - here in Australia QF takes the proverbial, for example.

It's taken many years to realise that any sense of loyalty to an airline in the modern world is a one way relationship - take by the airline.

OK, shift to SQ, but excellent as they are, they just gave us KrisFlyer members a 3 week notice of a devaluation 0n top of a fairly recent devaluation.

Sure, look after your own best interests, but perhaps a little "ironic" to cite others for doing likewise.

That said it would be unfortunate if CX failed to find some sort of balance so we all end up with a favourable position!

And , as agreed, folk still have to go to Vietnam, so overseas customers are immediately disadvantaged (they can't just take a USD100 JQ Pacific fare from HKG to HAN for example). Meanwhile, low fares are "normal' from origins as MLE and CMB, MRU (if that still holds these days).....

PS CNS based and grateful for the continued support that CX gives our community and much enjoy our trips to HKG and the people therein. Happy for our extra weekend in HKG, M Bar, Mott ,etc....

Last edited by Platy; Jan 3, 2019 at 4:16 am