FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why does AC not have registrations appear on wing undersides?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:17 pm
Adam Smith
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TemboOne;30597781​​​​​​

Oh dear, I seem to have upset someone

You have vastly overestimated my interest in this issue and misunderstood my question. You have asked why AC doesn't do something. You cited a very small number of examples and then referred to it as "industry standard". I questioned your defintion based on some counter-examples and asked what is your positive rationale for AC doing this other than that a couple of other airlines do it.

I don't particularly care one way or another whether AC does this. I'm curious to understand why you think it matters.

I think it is just a matter of common sense that all airlines follow this practice and certainly common throughout most of the world, except possibly the US.
But why is it common sense? The aircraft's registration is already visible elsewhere (leaving aside the issue that others have raised about whether the visual identifier is even necessary).

As to Planespotters, whatever that may be, I've never heard of them!
It's a website, with lots of pictures of planes, as well as details on the ownership history of aircraft. So, if you wanted to find out what happened to AC's E90s after Boeing bought them, you could look them up on there. Or, if you were nostalgic for those fins, you could gaze longingly at photos of them.

But having been RTW a number of times and all over SE Asia on many 9Vs from DC3s to Comets, I have never once seen a civil airliner without an underside registration on the port wing.
Ignoring AC's, of course, I'm puzzled by the defintive nature of this statement, given the examples I've already cited...

Incidentally, regarding the nosewheel door identifier, you do know that's for the airline's own convenience.
Yes, but the point is that if you need to identify a plane, and the registration isn't painted under the wing and the one near the door isn't visible, there are a couple of other identifying markings already used by most airlines, including AC.

I just feel that with the extent that AC serves the world having the under-wing registration included would be prudent step.
Back to my original question... "Prudent" is easy to say in theory. It might also be prudent for AC to stock parachutes for all the customers, but it's really not needed or sensible. So what's the need for the under-wing registration?

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
There is no requirement that it need be near the rear door. That location just happens to be convenient, offers the space, and is aesthetically more pleasing.
I read somewhere years ago that it was required to be painted near the rear door, but I have no idea what the source was, so I will defer to your apparent knowledge of the requirements on this point.

. In Canada, AC, WS, WG all opt not to affix registration under their wings; TS does so. Je ne sais pourquoi.
All of the photos of WS 737s that I looked at showed they did have it under the port wing, although the DH4s did not.