FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travelling the world for 6 months... My sabbatical leave experience
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:57 pm
palmanfr

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Kenya airways lounges in NBO

Transit was smooth and security cleared within minutes and this time, I decided to visit the smaller Simba lounge located right above the security check point

Transfer security was cleared in less than 3 minutes

The Simba lounge was about 25% busy when i arrived and the staff was still installing the breakfast buffet. It is quite small, and I believe can comfortably accomodate 60-70 guests or so. It has some outside views and comfortable seating with accessible power plugs. I remember the wifi was working well although you had to retype the login credentials quite often. It finally has restrooms, showers and a separate « VIP » area (with a TV) which was open to everyone that day.

Simba lounge entrance NBO airport

Simba lounge NBO airport

"VIP" room

Buffet area

The breakfast selection is pretty basic, not much to write about it, but the lounge staff was friendly.

I was feeling a bit sick that morning with sore throat and headaches and asked one of the lounge attendant if i could get some honey as I prefer to take some essential oils and use honey as a support when feeling like this. It took a couple requests to get some, but it eventually arrived.

Breakfast selection

Nice outside views

Bizarrely, my flight to Dubai was showing as closed… 5 hours before boarding. The status remained like this until I reached the gate for boarding… Looks like someone had a fat finger and fell asleep on the computer too… !

Flight CLOSED ???

I was able to get some « work » done at the lounge and stayed until noon, when I decided to go to the larger « Pride lounge », which I visited 3 weeks before, on my way to South Africa.

The staff was on its way to install the lunch buffet when I arrived, and since I was feeling more and more tired, I decided to visit the rest area where I wanted to have a nap. I stayed there only 10 minutes, as it was smelling bad, the seats were quite uncomfortable, and showing signs of wear.

Pride lounge - Nap area

I did not stay more than 10 minutes in there...

So I had some lunch…

Pride lounge lunch menu

I left the lounge around 13:25 to go towards the gate 14 from where my flight to Dubai was departing. I was happy to see that the clock on the gate screen was adjusted compared to 3 weeks ago !

5Y-KZH to Dubai

We did not get much information at the gate on why the boarding was delayed. It was also indicated on the screen that all passengers should visit the gate desk to get the passport verified.

Finally boarding !