FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First Time Booking a Refundable Fare
View Single Post
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:40 pm
ijgordon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
Yeah, that's really annoying. Fares should be more friendly. Do you really think agents are reviewing the outbound fare rules when repricing the inbound (after the outbound has been flown)? I think HUCA may apply here, but by the book I see now that fronting extra cash to avoid a change fee probably isn't going to work.
I can't say for sure, but it's not something I'd want to risk.
Since the two fare rules are independent on a r/t this also makes me wonder why one isn't charge two change fees when changing a non-refundable r/t before flying any portion of it?
Well, again, only "the most restrictive rule [singular] applies". But if you're changing the first segment of an itinerary, the ticket will be repriced at current fares, like purchasing an entirely new ticket, and will be subject to advance purchase requirements of the fare. If you're changing subsequent segments, even before initial departure, the rules usually state the ticket can be repriced at the historical fare, meaning no fare change. (Though IME, agents sometimes have an issue understanding this and tend to want to reprice at current fares before departure even if you're just changing the return.)