FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why does AC not have registrations appear on wing undersides?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:48 am
CZAMFlyer

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by TemboOne
Perhaps I should have been more specific. I am referring to the civil registration (such as C-GHPQ for fin 801) and not corporate logos.
I understood. The logo comment was in response to another member's post.

Oh dear, I seem to have upset someone!
Not to worry, you're in good company.

But having been RTW a number of times and all over SE Asia on many 9Vs from DC3s to Comets, I have never once seen a civil airliner without an underside registration on the port wing.
I'd cheekily suggest you're not looking hard enough. But from most passengers' perspectives, underside markings are tricky to spot.
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
You do know that all airliners have to have the ID painted on the fuselage near the rear door, right?
There is no requirement that it need be near the rear door. That location just happens to be convenient, offers the space, and is aesthetically more pleasing.
Originally Posted by C-FMWQ
My bet is AC doesn’t display the reg under the wing because they don’t have to while other carriers from other nations are required to display it based on their own countries regs
Bingo. In Canada, AC, WS, WG all opt not to affix registration under their wings; TS does so. Je ne sais pourquoi.

I just feel that with the extent that AC serves the world having the under-wing registration included would be prudent step.
Fair enough, but I think the requirements to be seen visually from below are antiquated; it's not a safety enhancement, and there are plenty of formal (en route nav) and informal (flight tracker app) methods to identify the aircraft in flight without laying eyes on it. I'm not aware of a valid, modern reason for this regulation, but perhaps somebody can enlighten me.