FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - St. Regis Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:32 am
geminidreams

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I think the problem with the St. Regis is perhaps inconsistency, yes they are capable of providing exceptional service and I have seen this but this is not virtually guaranteed, unlike say, SGS. My last stay was good without being great, some truly exceptional service and some that was frankly just below par for a top hotel in Bangkok. Those above who seem to think this is a truly exceptional hotel are either receiving special treatment in some way as returning guests (which is fair enough) or are overlooking flaws because they like the hotel. There is nothing wrong with this hotel, it's a very nice five star hotel, but I'm not even convinced it's the best Marriott property in Bangkok for service let alone close to being the best overall.

I did have a stay booked for tomorrow which I just cancelled as I see they are also playing games with SNAs which is a new one for me. I very deliberately only selected the suites with views on the upgrade request as I stayed in a suite without a view last time (paid, not an upgrade) and whilst it was huge the view overlooking another building was a bit of a downer. Get the email seeing the SNA is confirmed a couple of days ago and they've put me in a Metropolitan Suite despite most of the other suite types also being available. Fortunately SNA returned and no damage done, but one to be aware of for anyone making SNA requests with only specific categories in mind in future at this hotel. If the extra space isn't required I think there's a strong argument that a high floor Grand Deluxe room is better than a Metropolitan Suite at this hotel.
I guess this is why people have different ratings on hotels. I prefer the Metropolitan suite. I dont think the view over the racecourse to be particularly interesting. Of the hotels in BKK that I have stayed in the best view was the ROS but none of them excite me as being particularly good. I spend most of my time out and about and I am happy if I dont interact with anyone from the hotel between checkin and checkout!