FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AM - YVR to LIM ~US $750 in J Roundtrip
View Single Post
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:16 pm
EmailKid
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Pocatello
Can you share some about MEX and AM? I've been looking at AM to LIM via MEX for a MR. What kind of problems are possible in MEX?
Originally Posted by arkangel
Oh gosh, where to start! My wife and I flew YYZ-MEX-EZE on AM, in J, in Nov., 2017. On the way down, the equipment(737, 777) was rather dated and the food, esp. MEX-EZE, was rather subpar for J. However, the EZE-MEX return was much better when a 787-9 was subbed for the 777! Seat, meals, IFE, all top notch. What wasn't "top shelf," was the transfer at MEX. That airport is the pits, to put it mildly. And the EZE-YYZ transfer was no better: long line for immigration, then claim bags, go outside into semi-secure area and hand over bags for connecting flight. Arrive at YYZ to discover that one of our bags was missing and, as it turned out, permanently! After many months of emails, and finally phone calls in Spanish(my wife is fluent), did we finally receive a settlement that was reasonable and significantly higher than their original insulting $100 offer. To start with, the suitcase was a relatively new Tumi bag.
Finally, the ultimate "slap in the face" was our inability to receive the J fare MQM and mileage bonuses. The ticket was issued on AM stock, and was a Y-up fare. But, despite our boarding passes showing "J," and my Amex statement as well, and sending DL all the documentation,
they said they couldn't help since it was an AM ticket and the first fare code letter was a coach fare, despite others who had booked the fare thru Expedia reporting that they had received full credit.
So, caveat emptor.
Looks like Pocatello beat me to the reply ^

In a nutshell, there is no seamless transfer in MEX from ALL reports I've read. I found many great fares, but in the end passed based on MANY horror stories posted. Just look in Mexico forum @:-) I consider myself a bit of an adventure traveller (most recently a ferry, overnight to catch a morning public bus to another ferry, then light rail to the airport and finally public transport from next airport (autobus), but MEX connection in middle of the night is where I draw the line.

Oh, and while far from fluent, I do get by in Spanish (quit carrying a dictionary about 10 years ago).