FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Premium Fare Gone]: CX: Vietnam to North America from $674 (J) and $1100 (F)
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:38 am
Shareholder
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by minz56
My conspiracy theory right now is that the bookings will hold, but they will treat them as redemption awards (there are already hints at this upthread). Therefore no lucrative AS miles for any of these bookings. They will then look at reducing/eliminating award bookings for partners for 2019 to compensate for this little episode.

As you say shd9 only CX has the numbers so, as I say, only a conspiracy theory. Perhaps for CX it is just simpler to cancel the bookings based on the fact that this is clearly an error fare.
Assuming CX can buy miles on partner FF programs, the cost for those miles will put a huge dent into what it gets from this fare. My BA Avios calculation for DAD-HKG-JFK return in F as a BA Gold is about 25K or $250 out of the $825 paid ($450 base fare). The AS bite would be even more. Shall wait and see how CX handles this but I’d likely fly even without FF miles as Vietnam Nam was on my agenda for this year. (Positioning will be a hassle though would be nice if that QR MXP-DOH-BKK J fare comes back to combine....enough BA tier points to be just 500 TPS short of Gold for another two years.)