FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Surprisingly Good Silver Medallion Experience
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:17 pm
andrewk829

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
For the past few years, I have fluctuated between Silver and Gold. I'll be "downgrading" from GM to SM for 2019 (but "carrying over" about 18,500 miles; yes I know I could have done a mileage run, but decided I'd rather take a head start on GM status for next year, and I have a DL Amex card so I get my MQD requirement waived). In the "Silver years", I have been surprised by the frequency of getting upgrades to First. In fact, I think I had a higher percentage of upgrades to F as a Silver Medallion in 2017 than I have had as a Gold Medallion in 2018.

So, I'm not so sure there's some huge advantage to GM vs. SM, especially if you have a Delta Amex card and Pre-Check. I have Pre-Check, so there's no security line advantage. If you have a Delta AMEX card and you're Silver, you get two checked bags, each up to 70 lbs., for domestic travel, and you get one extra checked bag for international travel. That pretty much covers my checked bag needs. I think the only significant "downgrade" is you earn a few less Redeemable miles, you don't get complimentary lounge access when traveling internationally (so, as a DL Amex cardholder, just pay the $29 day rate if it's important to you), and you don't get those "Sky Priority" tags on your bags and accordingly you wait an extra 90 seconds at baggage claim.

Last edited by andrewk829; Dec 31, 2018 at 12:17 pm Reason: clarification