FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to maxmise QF points for flight upgrades
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:47 am
LHR/MEL/Europe FF
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Peteski
Hello, I am new to this & after my last flight in economy from MIA to SYD (AA & QF) in August, I don't wish to repeat it again. I will by flying to FCO from SYD in Sep 19 and I am after the best ways to maximise points so I can get upgrade out of economy. I have only recently changed over to OW or QF. Any advice is appreciated
Without status you might as well forget an upgrade using points. Not only that but you have to pay a higher fare to even be eligible for an upgrade consideration. Again, without status your request wuill be trumped by every other status member - a Qantas silver (base level elite) putting in a request a week before departure will have their request considered before yours even if you put it in 9 months before departure.

your best option? As has been mentioned - at the premium fares thread here on FT. You'll see airlines regularly offer business class from Asia in the AUD2000 range - for good carriers such as Qatar, Finnair and Oman Air.

You couple those with a cheap economy fare to Asia and then enjoy full flat beds for the rest of the trip. Oman Air currently has a sale out of Jakarta for AUD2100. Private suites in business class. Jakarta is about 6 hours from SYD and only costs $600 return to get there.

As you'll be booking separate tickets you'll need to allow plenty of connecting time though (lile at least 6-8 hours to be safe). If you fly Garuda to jakarta you can fly non-stop, or put in a stopover in Bali (and enjoy the beach!)