FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - St Regis Punta Mita Resort, Mexico [Master Thread]
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:58 pm
jdrtravel

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by zakami
I just completed a 5 night stay and will say my opinion differs from a lot of previous posters; mostly because I believe I represent a non-American view. While we were there, the vast majority of the guests were American. I cannot believe how much Americans tip! I saw someone pass on a $100 bill to one of the staff by the beach. Anyway, we had 2 kids of tow, so opinions are based on that as well. There is no charge for food for kids below 5 from the kids menu. We were upgraded to a villa due to Platinum Premier status (SNAs did not go through, so a bit last minute I expect).

As the previous poster mentioned, the only worthwhile restaurant at the hotel is Punta Mary. I don't know why the Marietas focuses on dry paninis and could perhaps include some local Mexican comfort food - fajitas, tacos, tortas, etc. I agree with the previous poster's advise to get away from the hotel in the evenings.

My recommendation is to Uber from the airport; it is so easy to walk a few more feet and message the driver to come to the airport side of the road rather than across the pedestrian bridge. There is a National location in Punta de Mita and it costs only about MXN 850 inclusive of the mandatory Third Party Liability to rent a full-size car per day, which you could and return to the airport. It costs MXN 150 to/from the St. Regis to the town (quite reasonable for suburbans).

The service in the hotel is sub-standard overall. In my opinion this resort caters to Americans, especially those from Southern California who likely have not experienced the best in Asia, Africa, Americas or even parts or Europe. But then its a 3 hour flight away versus 12+, so I get it as well why people would choose this location. I had a brief exchange with two couples from Los Angeles and I cannot believe how ignorant they were of anything outside the US (including Mexico and even its currency), though not certain if they represent the entire clientele at the hotel.

Our stay in general was above average, though I do not think we will return anytime soon. There are plenty of other (better) places to visit even though this is 3 hours away from our current home.

For the record, I am American, I have travelled all over the world, and I love this hotel. I tip when I am there even though I know I don't have to. The workers there are paid nearly nothing in wages, so they rely on tips. Yes, they share the automatic 10% service charge that is added to everything, but it's good to be generous in life, at least that's how I try to live. Americans are customized to tipping 20%. This is not a bad thing, it's just a cultural difference, and one that works out well for the hard workers at this property--good for them.

I also strongly dislike the type of American tourists that you describe, and know just how much they can totally take over a space.