FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:23 pm
Visconti

Originally Posted by diesteldorf
I always thought the target for the Aspire card were leisure travelers that may not normally be Hilton loyalists if not for the status or benefits. Since getting the Aspire, Hilton has become my chain of choice when price and location allow it. Hopefully Hilton is pleased with whatever benefits they are getting and will keep things as is.
Agreed. In my view, it's presently not only the best overall offer value-wise, but also likely the best card for anyone without current top tier hotel status. The timing is excellent, given the potential volatility of the MAR/SPG integration. I'd imagine, both Hilton and Amex should pick up some market share here.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Same here. In a way, the perfect storm with Marriott’s problems and removing meaningful benefits from Gold status and Hyatt not having a viable program for travelers like me.

Aside from my general principle of taking advantage of a tremendous offer, from my perspective, while I knew I'd qualify for Hyatt Glob this year, it was a hedge for the following year. What if WOH terms were to change, or I simply didn't feel like making an effort? There's always the Hilton program to fall back on, and will have a year to basically try it, along with tons of HHonors points from their various cards. Without a doubt, some stays the following year will go to Hilton, whereas without this offer, it would likely have gone to Hyatt.

Originally Posted by Adelphos

1) I think the new collection of cards has been a success for Hilton and Amex - people seem to be shifting stays to Hilton given the rewarding cards, promotions and any perceived Marriott/Starwood issues

2) I bet AMEX is happy that it is not dependent on only one hotel relationship

3) The benefits of the Aspire card don’t seem to be that expensive. So what if there are a few more Diamonds in the program?

This card has a good chance of staying very rewarding (though obviously all programs or cards can be devalued)

I don't think the number of Diamonds will pose an issue for Hilton, and, if indeed, Hilton is bearing most of the costs for recurring rewards, then Amex, I suspect, would have no reason for devaluation. Post sign-up bonus and $500 airline credit (for the one time churners), the annual recurring benefit would be: $250 Airline + $250 resort credit + $100 Waldorf/Conrad property credit + free weekend night, which would roughly be equivalent to about $800 - $900? So, less the $450, the recurrent net benefit would be around $300 - $400, assuming one were to spend money on travel. Considerable cost hurdle, if most cardmembers maximized these benefits.

Last edited by Visconti; Dec 30, 2018 at 5:40 pm Reason: To add quote.