FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - All devices to be turned off ....
View Single Post
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:05 am
KARFA
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
I have not heard of a new directive yet though ( and I do not think it was mentioned in the thread)
Just to add whenever they have done autolands in the past it's been the same announcement asking for all devices to be turned completely off so I don't think there is anything new.

Originally Posted by TheBigRat
1. Doing an ILS (?) automatic landing in heavy fog so apparently there can be interference
Most landings at the main airports around Europe have instrument landing systems (ILS) on most of the arrival runways. The ILS provides to the approaching aircraft both lateral and vertical guidance right down to the threshold of the runway. This can be coupled with the autopilot so that basically the plane lines itself up on the right heading and descending on the right glide slope for the approach. The pilots would usually disengage the autopilot around 1500-500ft where they would be visual with the runway. There is usually a minimum altitude (usually around 300-200ft) you need to be able to see the approach lights/runway otherwise you have to go-around.

However when it is really foggy or there is a very low cloud base it may be the situation that it is impossible to see the approach lights/runway by the time you would normally have to. There are also higher categories of ILS (CAT II and III) which can be used. For CAT III basically the autopilot is used right down to the ground and the plane lands itself on the runway. This can be used with very low visibility and this is what you had at CDG.