FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tipping in China - what is best practice?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:54 am
seanpodge

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
The other thing to consider is that your actions help to create expectations - which are then assumed from the rest of us living in China.

Tipping is not expected, although depending on how good the driver is I will round up on taxi fares (if they have taken the shortest or fastest route without being asked for example).

As pointed out, you'll get the same recognition, and the same service, if you don't tip. You say in an earlier post you don't treat staff like 'the help' - but then you think they will remember you only if you pay them?
Exactly. Please don't ruin China by bringing in tipping. If foreign tourists to the USA have to figure out what percentage to add on to the abstract number known as the fee to which service, then surely foreign tourists to China can learn to keep their wallets in their pants for a week or two. Just appreciate being treated like a customer rather than a walking sack of money to be pilfered from for providing even the most insignificant forms of assistance.

Originally Posted by Visconti
Herein lies the problem. As an American visiting/traveling, there are certain establishments where the expectations are that I tip. Not many places, but certain American hotels expect a tip from me, but not from non-Americans. I don't like it, but, it's just reality--likely the result of what you've mentioned above. For a single night, I couldn't care less and ignore the subtle hints for the tip; however, on longer stays, there's the balance of handing out a 20 RMB (a few bucks which literally means absolutely nothing to me), or have the bellboy annoyed/disappointed, rightly or wrongly, for a perceived American stiffing him. Same with the housekeeping staff.

In the end, you're right, it would be far better for Americans to simply go with the whatever the local norms/customs are when traveling. In the long run, this works out better for everyone, in my view.
Stayed a night at the Beijing airport Ibis a couple of years ago when a staff member seemed to hang around me while I (and another, Chinese looking group) were checking in. The Chinese looking group finished checking in first and were left to lug their bags up to their room(s) unassisted. Meanwhile the staff member waits for me and brings my bag up unrequested. As he is leaving the room the old hand comes out and I have enough Chinese to let him know which country we are in and more importantly which country we are not in. No tip that night and no return business from me to that hotel either.