FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tipping in China - what is best practice?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:09 am
LHR/MEL/Europe FF
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by synthkeys
@JPDM I hear you. I'm not trying to defend or advocate. I understand in most of the world (i.e. not America or maybe the UK) tipping is not customary or expected. But I think there's an aspect to tipping that's not as understood. Many consider a tip as a reward for good service and many times it is. Oh the wait staff did an exceptional job serving for dinner, let's reward them. But there's also the idea of using a tip as an incentive for future good service. If I frequent the same bar and tip the bartender well, the bartender will remember me next time, and take care of me.

I've worked in the financial industry most of my career. I believe the concept of the year-end bonus is as much about an incentive for next year as it as a reward the the past year.

Anyway, I don't want to go on too much. Its just what I do. My girlfriend in China complains about it too. "Why did you give the taxi driver 5 yuan extra! Give it to me!" The hotel I stay in is pretty nice but its no Ritz Carlton, not even a Hilton , 5 star but it's Chinese 5 star. The service is not quite up to what I would see in a western hotel. Tipping the staff gives them a little incentive to help remember who I am and help me out when I need it. So I have no problem playing the ugly American who throws money away on useless tipping.
The other thing to consider is that your actions help to create expectations - which are then assumed from the rest of us living in China.

Tipping is not expected, although depending on how good the driver is I will round up on taxi fares (if they have taken the shortest or fastest route without being asked for example).

As pointed out, you'll get the same recognition, and the same service, if you don't tip. You say in an earlier post you don't treat staff like 'the help' - but then you think they will remember you only if you pay them?