FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tipping in China - what is best practice?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:13 pm
Visconti

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Thanks.

We will be staying at the Fairmont. What about tipping bell boys?

We will be going to China by ourselves. If we decide to take group sightseeing tours, what about tipping the tour guide or bus drivers?
Ordinarily, no. However, in luxury American hotels, they may expect a tip from western guests. Since I wouldn't be privy to a never before visited property's customs or expectations, upon checking in, I'll request my luggage be brought to my room, while I have tea, drink, or whatever excuse. I'll return about 60 minutes after being informed that my room is ready. If my (our) luggage is neatly placed in the room, no tip is expected, which is always the case in Japan. Or, my bags will either be (1) not in the room, or (2) the FD/Lounge staff will ask if I'd like someone to bring up my luggage (which I've already instructed them to do). I suspect this is to ensure there's someone in the room to give a tip, which has always been the case, at least for me, in any luxury hotel I've stayed in Hong Kong or London.

In my experiences in China (limited to Shanghai and Guangzhou), I've, ah, experienced both.