FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2018 Luxury Hotel Highs and Lows
View Single Post
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:03 am
flyingeph12

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm not usually one to reminisce, but this thread got me thinking about my travels this year. Overall, I wouldn't say it was my most interesting year in terms of traveling—lots of trips to the same places and many nights in very forgettable hotels. But there were some high (and low) lights.

HIGHS
1. Landmark Mandarin Oriental HK (Jan 2018) – This set the bar high for the year. There are flashier, taller, shinier hotels in HK. But I tend to gravitate towards understated luxury, and in my opinion the LMOHK nailed it. Excellent room (especially the bathroom!) and spa. The concierge team was outstanding—responsive, eager to please, and nothing was too much trouble. Amber was one of the best meals of the year. And of course, the location is second to none if you want to be on HK Island.
2. The Chatwal NY (Feb 2018) – I am perhaps a bit weird in that I very much enjoy a nice staycation every now and then, and over the years I have tried many different hotels in NYC. The Chatwal was a particular stand out this year for me. I was upgraded to a gorgeous suite with a terrace. I didn't really use the concierge much, but all the staff with whom I interacted could not have been more helpful or friendly (a few $20 bills might have been exchanged, but that's how things are done here I suppose). Breakfast at Lambs Club each morning was sumptuous.
3. Proper Hotel SF (multiple stays) – This one might be somewhat controversial. Unlike bhrubin, I am not enamored with the St. Regis (see below). The Proper is a relatively new hotel in a "transitioning" neighborhood of SF, and I recognize that for some the location of the hotel will be a turnoff. I loved the location, though: steps from BART and Muni and closer to the parts of SF that I like to be in when not working (but still close enough to work). The hotel itself is stunning in my opinion (and so quirky in a good way)—the beds are amazing, I love the bathrobes and Aesop products, Villon is awesome, and the rooftop bar is gorgeous (and of course, as a guest of the hotel, you get to skip the line). This hotel has been added to my go-to list for SF.
4. The Palace SF (multiple stays) – I am generally not a fan of grand dames, but I love the Palace (probably in the same way that bhrubin loves the St. Regis), especially since the rooms have been renovated. This year, I was always upgraded to at least a junior suite, and though I don't mind the base-level rooms here, the suites really are something else. I love having breakfast, and especially weekend brunch, in the Garden Court, and the pool on the top floor is much appreciated. Also love how the hotel is steps from the BART and Muni, and somewhat removed from the craziness of the Westfield/Union Square area.
5. The Perry Lane Savannah (Aug 2018) – Not everything was completely open when I was there (the hotel opened in June I believe), but it was a memorable stay nonetheless. I loved the aesthetic of the rooms (and the free cookies). The staff were charming—special props to the server I had for breakfast in the restaurant each morning, who by the second morning knew how I liked my coffee and remembered that I didn't touch the melon in the fruit plate on the first morning. Overall, I think this hotel was the perfect blend of southern charm and modern sensibility.

MEH
1. The Temple House Chengdu (Jul 2018) – Maybe I went in with too high expectations, given all the accolades this hotel (and its sister properties in HK and Beijing) have received, but this stay was good but not great. To start with the positives: the room (I was in a Studio 70 room) was gorgeous and truly an oasis; breakfast in the morning was high-quality and offered a nice mix of Chinese and western options; Bruce, one of the hotel's drivers, was friendly, knowledgable, and overall simply amazing; and the location was good (attached to the upscale Taikoo Li shopping complex and relatively close to the metro). But what really stood out to me were the multiple little service slip-ups: having to remind the service team that I had asked them to book tickets to the Sichuan Opera, having to remind the front desk that I had booked a car to Dujiangyan, and then arriving at the Panda Center to find that I was not on the list of volunteers for the day, even though I had asked the hotel to arrange it (luckily it all worked out). The language barrier also didn't help matters, but that's probably on me more than the hotel.

LOWS
1. Claremont Club & Spa, Berkeley (Dec 2018) – I needed to be in the East Bay, and the Claremont seemed like a good choice. To give them credit, I found the public spaces pretty impressive. But other than that, everything else failed to impress. I had booked a junior suite but was relegated to one by the ice machine on the first floor overlooking the parking lot (I had to keep the shades drawn otherwise those walking by could see in). The suite itself, although recently updated, was meh. The only real interaction I had with the staff was ordering room service and having them not follow two simple requests. Also, I found that calling Lyfts/Ubers was a pain because the property has multiple gated (but unstaffed) entrances, and the gates malfunctioned almost every time the driver would try to leave (I felt bad for the drivers who wasted so much time).
2. St. Regis SF (Sep 2018) – This was my second time at this hotel (the first being a few years ago, which also left me less than impressed). The problems started at check-in with the front desk agent at first not recognizing my Platinum Premier status with SPG/Marriott and wanting to charge me more for a room on a higher floor (I didn't even try for a suite, given it was a short stay). I ended up on the 20th floor without having to pay more (after the agent obsequiously apologized and then tried to cast the blame away from himself), but the room was less than impressive. One, it felt small. Two, the shower and the water pressure in the shower were unimpressive. Three, the blackout shades/curtain didn't block out all the light. Also, because it was a standard room, no butler service—not a big deal, but still worth mentioning. Honestly, I think I would have had a much better stay if it hadn't started out on the wrong foot, but I was glad I was staying only for one night. The Proper and the Palace will be my go-to hotels in SF.

In sum, I would say that all of the hotels on this list are objectively wonderful hotels; the difference between highs and lows for me really boiled down to the service and interactions I had with the people. Sometimes it's the little things, the little touches here and there, that leave the most indelible impressions. Truly first-world problems.

Here's to a wonderful, luxury-filled 2019...

Last edited by flyingeph12; Dec 27, 2018 at 4:19 am