FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex Hacked
Thread: Amex Hacked
View Single Post
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:52 am
DYKWIA
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by airline brat
We had AMEX text notifications come in late Boxing Day evening, 450+ for John Lewis Direct, Harvey Nichols Beauty Bazaar and Spotify. Talked to AMEX almost as soon as they came in--seems as though the transactions were approved even though I had not put the codes into an online entry point. Also got email notifications although I don't recall ever receiving those by email before. AMEX shut the card down but they seem to have some weak points in the security scheme that aren't holding up very well.
I think the scammers are getting cleverer. Whereas it used to be them booking flights in Russia, or something that obviously stuck out as not normal, they are now playing the "middle class game". People who fly BA are generally going to be middle class, shop at John Lewis / Harvey Nichols / Waitrose etc. This is one of the reasons it points to be the BA breach that has caused these.

Amex will struggle to pick out the fraudulent transactions. Amex don't generally have 2FA on their purchases (occasionally they do IME). I think Amex will increase the checks in the future.