FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyinHawaiian320

Originally Posted by patmcpsu
Any recent stays here using Amex FHR? If so, how was your experience? Specifically, what did the upgrade consist of, and was the resort fee waived?
Just stayed here last week for 5 nights. I was a fan of the hotel. I was a bit nervous with the strike but mgmt let me know a week prior that everything was fully operational and back to normal. I'm a LTPP and was given 2 buffet coupons daily; the buffet was one of the best I've ever had. We generally went around 830 am and never waited but on the last day of the trip we slept in a bit and got there at 930 am and waited 45 minutes. Seemed a lot of customers were unhappy was they had said it would be 10-15 minutes. Service was kind of slow as when we sat there was at least 10 open tables so just think they weren't turning them over fast enough.

I requested an upgrade and received a 1 BR suite in the older tower (can't recall the name). They call it an ocean view but unfortunately it was 2nd floor and the trees are so high we barely could see it. The room was very nice though.

Valet parking was solid as well. My two main gripes were slow check in service (I had to wait in line 25 minutes twice for various items) and the resort fee is a total ripoff. Also I think it stinks that the resort fee doesn't include beach chair access and I still had to pay $40 for two chairs and two towels right outside the hotel on the beach. Not sure if it's like this for all hotels since Waikiki beach if public but the $$ adds up.

Would not hesitate to stay here again but thinking next time I might try the Westin as those were the 2 Oahu hotels I debated between.