FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - St Regis Houston, TX [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Dec 25, 2018, 4:55 am
mikebor

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Yikes. We have very different definitions of what constitutes a 5 star luxury hotel. It has to include excellent service to me, and there’s a reason so few luxury designations of Houston hotels include the Post Oak Hotel. The Post Oak has a very new, nice hard product, indeed—reminiscent of a flashy blend between Vegas and the Monarch Beach Hotel in SoCal—but is woefully lacking in 5 star service from the few times I’ve dined and had drinks there. Also, those hookers at the bar don’t really impress me.

The StR isn’t as new and does need a renovation, but its service is top drawer. The StR knows how to handle discerning guests. The Post Oak hasn’t much of a clue. And the rates reflect that reality.

Ironically, my friends in Houston still say the StR, desperate as it may be for a refurbishment, is the toast of the town. The FS is a disaster of poor design and the JW is an exercise in huge and boring corporate design with little service ethos (much like the Post Oak).
Place looks old and tired. Why would you want to stay at a "top luxury" hotel when the owners won't even spend money to renovate their dated rooms. Plus your television was not in front of the bed, it was in the corner at an uncomfortable angle which would annoy the hell out of me.