FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cherry Blossom 2019
View Single Post
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:57 am
abmj-jr

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by kapooncha
abmj, I've seen you post about this before and you seem pretty knowledgeable about it. Do you think there is any chance of the cherry blossom in Kyoto occurring past April 2? I know you're not Nostradamus. I'd like to book the Hyatt Kyoto for March 25-March 29. Problem is I don't have enough points because they are tied up in a Hyatt Kyoto reservation through April 6. I would need to change the dates on that before I can book Mar 25-29.
I am definitely not able to see into the future and am just making guesses based on what has gone before. In 2017, the main sites were in bloom around April 4 with full show about 4 days later but in 2018, it was March 30-April 4. If I had to bet, I think I'd keep the reservations you have. Even if it turns out to be a very early year, you could still take a short train ride into the hills and see lots of blossoms. The major sites, like Maruyama Park, Kiyomizu-dera and Nijo Castle are always in bloom for a couple of weeks so if opening is in the last week of March, your dates should still be good.

Reservations for good hotels in Kyoto during sakura season become very difficult to get quite early. If you already have March 30-April 4 locked in, you are unlikely to find anything better at this late date. I'd keep them.

Others may have different ideas.