FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - St Regis Houston, TX [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:03 am
bhrubin
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Another amazing stay despite the still dated decor

Introduction I was back again at the St Regis Houston for the second year in a row, largely because the hotel took such amazing care of me last year. That story was repeated yet again for this stay.My review last year largely covers the hotel, but it is a lovely, comfortable hotel--even if a bit dated. Again, it was decorated for the holidays... Check In Check in was easy, friendly, and prompt. I already had been upgraded by my SNAs that cleared 4 days prior to my arrival into an Astor Suite. I was looking forward to seeing the difference between the Astor Suite this year from the St Regis Suite I enjoyed last year. Room It turns out that the Astor Suite is essentially the exact same suite as a St Regis Suite, just on the lower floors. My Astor Suite was on the 5th floor (room 510).The view wasn't much to speak of!The suite living room had been preset to 67 F and the bedroom to 65 F as per my request via my profile and my Ambassador. I further lowered the bedroom air con to 62 F without any issue. Pure bliss for me.WiFi was a wonderful 75-90 Mbps up and down, again putting to shame the Ritz-Carlton Dallas and its pitiful 0.5-1.5 Mbps "speeds" I had encountered at the start of my Texas trip.The suite was exactly the same in layout and decor as my St Regis Suite the year prior. It was just as dated, with the same curious dust ruffle from the 1990s! But it also was just as supremely comfortable. The bathroom was a bit narrow again, but for just me it was more than fine. Service Service is why I keep returning to this St Regis property. It is a truly impressive service experience.I had butler service unpack and pack me. Even though they'd already provided me the welcome fruit bowl, I couldn't resist to call and ask if they might bring me the welcome gift of Texas-shaped chocolate they had provided last year. They brought it right up. This has to be among my favorite welcome amenities of all time.Room service was also prompt and great. When I even mentioned a slow bar service on my 2nd night, they comp'd my bar bill from the 1st night. I tried to decline, since the bar service that 1st night was so amazing, but I hadn't paid for the 2nd night and they wanted to make up for the negative experience anyway. I was impressed--I tried to decline the comp a few times.I did have an issue with my toilet not working--the flush handle seemed to be broken or not working properly. They had to fix it several times, and on the third time I finally called to complain. They comp'd my room service breakfast by way of apology and finally had it taken care of. Basically, service was amazing...and in the rare instance when it wasn'tl, the hotel truly bends over backwards to make sure to offer service recovery and make sure I was happy. World class service. Dining I only had room service breakfasts--which was so good, I ordered the same thing both mornings. Location The location for me is perfect. It is close to the Galleria, which can be chaotic and traffic-ridden at rush hour, but I fortunately missed most of that. It was just a 10 min drive to the restaurants and clients/friends I was meeting. It was a 20 min drive to Nancy's Hustle. It was only a 30 min drive on Sunday to the IAH airport. Overall I love this hotel despite its slightly date dated decor. In every other way, the St Regis Houston absolutely takes care of me. I will always stay here, but I do look forward to whenever the hotel gets its renovation/refursbishment!