FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Some Delta passengers are going to spend Christmas near the North Pole
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:26 am
andrewk829

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
Back to the topic of the diverted flight . . . I hope there is a FTer on board who can report how it all unfolded.A few logistical questions I have about a situation of a diversion to an extremely remote location:
1. Are passengers allowed to deplane? If so, is there any kind of facility for them in which to pass the time? What would that look like? If they do deplane, is there a security rescreening process before they re-board? How would that work as I doubt there is security screening machinery in place there? Maybe they’d send some TSA agents on the rescue plane with hand-held wands?
2. I would really hope that passport formalities (i.e, the absence of a CBP presence there) would not be a barrier to allowing passengers to deplane. I mean, really, is a non-citizen with nefarious intent going to attempt to take advantage of the situation to sneak into the U.S. by way of a remote Aleutian Island?
3. Given that there is a “rescue plane” coming, how are the logistics of checked baggage handled? Will they transfer baggage to the “rescue plane”, or leave it on the affected plane for future delivery? If they bring some baggage handlers on the rescue plane, that’ll probably represent an exciting opportunity for them. Would they bring one of those planeside conveyor belt trucks on the rescue plane?
4. If passengers have to stay on the plane, would Delta be able to provide some meal service and keep lavatories functioning?
Merry Christmas to all on board! Hope you can get where you are going as soon as possible.

Last edited by andrewk829; Dec 24, 2018 at 8:34 am Reason: Spacing