FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Elite Recognition and Free Chocolate
View Single Post
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:43 am
Xrayman

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by rustykettel

Yes to above, but it’s still apparently drink or chocolate as policy, possible not both in PC. Also, no chocolate if no full drink service (particularly limited service QX routes including Seattle Shuttle).

Confused here by the policy? So if I receive the chocolate, I don’t get complimentary cocktail (I really like the chocolate ) even if in Premium plus that states you have your alcohol beverages included? But I’m allowed to have 2 or more cocktails given the service cart will travel through twice?

I’ve really never put much thought into this except occasionally when I get perturbed when asking for the chocolate with my Baileys and coffeee (btw it’s a great combo) and the FA states “either or” policy. I then inform them I’m happy to pay for the chocolate as this would be reimbursed by my business as it is a food item (not alcohol based upon policy). They are often confused as I am as this is just dumb and needless technicalities and FAs need to make real-time customer service decisions. Some are better than others obviously.

Once when in FC I asked for the chocolate and was told “it’s for the elites in the back”. I asked him to think about what he just informed me and I thanked him for being an Alaska air associate and helping me fly round trip 40 weeks a year transcontinental and that I was happy to pay for the chocolate or the cocktail but I would really appreciate the blue chocolate with my Baileys and coffee. He sneered and proceeded to “educate” me on policy. 30 minutes later I believe the crew chief came back with 2 chocolates and she apologized for my inconvenience and the delay. The original FA the proceeded to apologize and further reiterate his understanding of the policy, and I acknowledged that this “Policy” placed him and the crew in a position to fail and all was good from my standpoint.

I less than 50% of the time and actually closer to zero than 50% get acknowledged as a 75K. My daughter essentially NEVER gets acknowledged as a MVP gold (since 3 years old), albeit she is young (2nd grade now) but she does notice it when she flies as her mom gets recognized occasionally and then she will ask her mom why they don’t say “thank you to me (different last names for my daughter and her mom). As a person big on customer service I think this is literally one of the most COST EFFECTIVE maneuvers business’ can do as it costs nothing to make your customers (in this case frequent fliers) feel special by a simple verbal acknowledgement.

In summary, dumb rule “either or” when sitting in premium plus seats that you can have multiple alcohol drinks but get hazed by technicalities if you also want a chocolate. And verbal acknowledgment of elite status as either MVP gold or 75K is rarity and essentially absent if 7 years old or younger apparently (and my daughter does notice)

Last edited by Xrayman; Dec 24, 2018 at 8:02 am