FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:35 am
Dad to Rei

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fredc84
There are 2 (or 3) fees when flying thru LHR. One is the BA imposed fee, but there are also two government fees...the APD (Air Passenger Duty, an excise tax) since you are originating in the UK and the passenger service charge (these apply no matter who you fly). The PSC will always apply going thru UK airports and the APD applies if you originate in the UK or transit for greater than 24 hours on an int'l itinerary. If you were flying BA, the fees would be closer to $1200. I'm not sure, but I think the UK raised these fees recently...ugh.
Thanks, that explains it. I guess ill keep digging around, and look at connecting from elsewhere (AMS, TXL, ZRH......)

Thank you. It was the APD that's driving the price so much. I was aware of the BA imposed fee, but this oddly enough is the first time i have looked at originating an award from the UK.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 24, 2018 at 8:49 am Reason: Add edit made to original post