FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:31 am
fredc84

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by Dad to Rei
QQ,

I have found an award flight i would like to use LHR --> PHL in June, the systems actually showing me LHR --> JFK // LGA --> PHL. But i am happy to ditch the LGA PHL leg and drive / train.....

It's showing 77W - LHR --> PHL, but for 2 people $600 in charges. I thought those just showed up for BA flights, these are both AA flight #'s and metal. I was expecting $30 or so, not $600. Am i wrong in my understanding of this? My outbounds to ZRH were i think $12 taxes each.
There are 2 (or 3) fees when flying thru LHR. One is the BA imposed fee, but there are also two government fees...the APD (Air Passenger Duty, an excise tax) since you are originating in the UK and the passenger service charge (these apply no matter who you fly). The PSC will always apply going thru UK airports and the APD applies if you originate in the UK or transit for greater than 24 hours on an int'l itinerary. If you were flying BA, the fees would be closer to $1200. I'm not sure, but I think the UK raised these fees recently...ugh.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 24, 2018 at 8:47 am Reason: Correction