FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LGW closed due to drone activity
View Single Post
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:01 am
tinkicker

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by kanderson1965

Unfortunately that is not within the remit of the CPS, but lies solely with.the trial judge on conviction.
Yes but, as I understand it, the CPS have the choice over charging options? So they could charge under the Air Navigation Order (max 5 years on conviction) or, as in the recent STN protestor case, could charge under aviation security laws (max "life"). Of course they may have evidence of something completely different and the drone bit may just be an add on. The actual sentence is of course up to the judge on conviction. There don't seem to be any 'standard tariff' set out by the sentencing council (that I can find) for either of these offences so I'm out of my non-lawyer depth here!

Of course no one has been charged with anything yet and the two under-arrest may be nothing to do with the disruption of the previous days and there is probably a very long road to any court case.

Just some advanced warning though: for any non-UK readers though once someone is charged in connection with a crime in the UK then there are significant limits on what can be reported and include on social media / websites (like this one). This can include things like naming the person (if they are not named in the mainstream press there is usually a good reason to do with legal restrictions so don't name them on social media.) Some advice on UK laws can be found on this BBC article.