FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DCA TSA: Your Pie Can't Fly
View Single Post
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:51 am
WillCAD

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by CMK10
My sister in law baked me a banana cream pie. It's your standard type of pie: graham cracker crust, bananas and cream. I had eaten one slice then packed up the rest to take home to RDU. Unfortunately, DCA TSA determined this cream was "too much of a liquid". I said this was ridiculous and that pie was a food and the agent said in a baffling argument "so is water". I said by his argument I couldn't take a meatball sub through security and he said that was true as marinara was a liquid too.

So I had to throw out 7/8s of a pie. Utterly ridiculous.
As stupid as this is, it's at least consistent with previous TSA stupidities, such as prohibiting peanut butter and Nutella, and cupcakes in jars, because they are "gel-like" and can conform to the container.

I hate it, but let's be honest, a banana cream pie is certainly gel-like and the cream definitely conforms to the container (the crust).

What we need to do is figure out some strategy for ending the ridiculous war on LGAs. TSA's fondness for fancy electronic gizmos may actually work in our favor if they ever get those liquid screening machines they were drooling over a few years back, so they can loosen the restrictions on liquid quantities and simply start screening the darn things for explosives.

Of course, I won't be holding my breath on that one. Or on any other potentially sense-making moves by TSA.