FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:22 am
jtav559

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by zzpitt
I just completed an online marketing survey with Barclays pertaining to a "new and exciting" benefit in the works (received email to participate in the survey). In hindsight, I wish I would have taken screen shots, but the main point is that you can opt in to a feature which "rounds up" all of your purchases (up to a limit per month you set in your profile) and they basically sell you miles at $0.02/mile for the round up. The example they kept using was buy a coffee for $3.10, automatically round up to $4.00, and you'd get 3 miles for the initial purchase, plus 50% miles on the round up (90 cents round up times 0.5 = 45 extra miles) for a total of 48 miles on the purchase. Again, basically buying miles at $0.02 a piece. The marketing banners and ads they were testing were pretty slick, along the lines of "Imagine how much farther you can go by earning 48 miles on just your daily coffee!", I could see how an un-savvy consumer would think they were actually getting a deal. I made sure to put in the comments that the purchase rate on the points was not attractive and I wouldn't be likely to opt into the feature - it's still a better rate than purchasing them outright from AA, but I still don't see the value in purchasing them at 2 cents per mile.
Originally Posted by redtop43
I wonder how many miles are acquired by what I'll call "non-serious" flyers who may not actually use them.

FTers know that to get 2 cents per mile value you have to fly overseas premium cabin. Some others may feel this is a way of creating a "change jar" of miles which every so often will yield a nice surprise.

Unfortunately, this may well be one of their "enhancements" to take away the sting of the new EDQ limit.
I personally see some ways I could use this to my advantage and cut down on the amount of VGC and MO's I burn through in pursuit of AA miles.

While my cost to MS is usually $0.0098 cents per mile (occasionally dips lower if I can leverage other promos)- my time, gas, sanity, effort to keep track of all the particulars has some "cost" to it as well that I currently don't factor into my plans. I would be willing to shift some of my spending to take advantage of this sort of offer. Say it raises my average cost per mile to $0.015 cpm and I get some free time and piece of mind back? Still comes out to $862 for one way J sAAver to Europe. Not a bad deal in my book.

Last edited by jtav559; Dec 26, 2018 at 8:12 am