FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:06 pm
taxatty56

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zzpitt
I just completed an online marketing survey with Barclays pertaining to a "new and exciting" benefit in the works (received email to participate in the survey). In hindsight, I wish I would have taken screen shots, but the main point is that you can opt in to a feature which "rounds up" all of your purchases (up to a limit per month you set in your profile) and they basically sell you miles at $0.02/mile for the round up. The example they kept using was buy a coffee for $3.10, automatically round up to $4.00, and you'd get 3 miles for the initial purchase, plus 50% miles on the round up (90 cents round up times 0.5 = 45 extra miles) for a total of 48 miles on the purchase. Again, basically buying miles at $0.02 a piece. The marketing banners and ads they were testing were pretty slick, along the lines of "Imagine how much farther you can go by earning 48 miles on just your daily coffee!", I could see how an un-savvy consumer would think they were actually getting a deal. I made sure to put in the comments that the purchase rate on the points was not attractive and I wouldn't be likely to opt into the feature - it's still a better rate than purchasing them outright from AA, but I still don't see the value in purchasing them at 2 cents per mile.

I'm hoping this isn't one of the big new features they are rolling out to replace the EQD benefit...
They sent me the same crappy survey--give them more $ for a bad deal on AA miles. This absolutely must be an attempted "replacement" for the lost EQDs, and frankly, it stinks.