FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Iceland, Spain & Morocco via IcelandAir Business Class & British Airways First Class
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:20 pm
worldtraveller73

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by JALlover
Great report once again! Hope to see more soon!

As the border agent said "You're never home!"

Did this trip happened right after your trip to East Africa?
Thanks JALlover. This trip was about two months after our trip to East Africa. It has felt like a bit of a marathon lately!

Originally Posted by jtav559
Looks like the beginnings of a great TR! Keep it coming - I am enjoying reading this instead of spreadsheets.
Thank you jtav559. I can certainly sympathize with you.

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Wow!! The price of the transfer is eye watering. I understand that everything is pricey - like Greenland - but that is just incredible. Also, for the Duty Free, the Taxes must be on a par with other countries in the region - I stand under correction - but they are high from the ones' that I have visited, hence the size and the amount of folk buying from it.
Roadwarrier: I think the issue is that, due to the past economic collapse, there are now high taxes on many things. The duty free becomes the work around that seems to be enjoyed by many. As Iceland is not on the Euro currency, I think that they may have some tariff's on some products; alcohol being one of them. Add shipping and I am sure that the prices go up considerably.

Originally Posted by stu1985
Great start to your report worldtraveller73. Iceland is always somewhere I have wanted to go. I hope you stocked up in duty free to try save some money on the pricey drinks in the city!
Thanks stu1985. MrsWT73 made sure of that. LOL.

Originally Posted by nequine
Aye, a friend said they were £27 for a glass of wine when they were in Iceland last October!!
The drinks were a bit over the top nequine. I just stuck with beer with was a little more reasonable.

Originally Posted by 757
Great start to your new trip report here, worldtraveller73! It looks like you had a great start to your trip. Icelandair looks fine, and their meals look like Delta's Premium Select offering/or their domestic First Class meals. It's great though they have so many options of gin though - that is cool!

Looking forward to your next report.
The gin selection was indeed a bit of a surprise 757; a worthy addition for a slightly less than worthy business class product for overseas travel.

Originally Posted by tennislover9
Going to Morocco in April and Iceland in July. Looking forward to this report.
Thanks tennislover9. I'll be interested to see which one you find better. I think we liked Iceland over Morrocco when it was all said and done.

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Surprised to see a bottle of water in your room. The tap water in Iceland is fantastic and it's usually frowned upon, locally, to have single use bottles of water. Yes, an expensive place to visit but I've yet to meet a person that didn't enjoy Iceland.
Iceland was great Uncle Nonny. I think it will be getting a bit spoiled though with tourism. Better visit soon before the whole world is here...

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
What a treat (as always, WT73)! I especially took note of the Icelandair flights which are very affordable per Alaska's Mileage Plan. With those seats and the schedule, I don't think I'd want to do an eastbound trip but westbound with a few days stopover in REK sounds like the way to go. Thanks for another great contribution to the TR forum!
Thanks Seat 2A. I would definitely use a 55k business award to get to Europe for a leisure trip; especially with WT73jr. If they'd only release more seats!! I would agree that if you head westward, you won't spend any expensive hotel time getting used to jet lag on your arrival in Iceland.

Originally Posted by Madone59
What a great trip report, thank you for sharing ^ I am looking forward to the rest!

I love the "Exit to Iceland" signs in the airport, they are so simple but had me laughing out loud. What a great twist on an airport exit sign.
Thanks Madone59. They remind me of the "WAY OUT" signs in New Delhi India at the airport. Obvious and to the point!!