FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott points worth so little
View Single Post
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:04 pm
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
$388+/night for that hotel next week over Christmas? Sounds way overpriced for what is one of the cheapest weeks of the year for Paris hotels. At times like this, Hotwire and Priceline type “opaque” bookings are major money savers for Paris. It’s why I wouldn’t use anything close to $388+/night at that hotel as my point of reference on the value being gotten out of Marriott points.

Even with my Platinum whatever status with Marriott, for this hotel at that time, my reference point would be closer to $150-180/night at highest and then it comes across as another questionable value redemption again. But then again this is going to get worse for customers after Marriott insitutes its peak/off-peak point pricing game.
We spent last Christmas/New Year's in Paris. 4 of us, a 2-bedroom apartment right near Forum des Halles. It was something like $1100 for a week. It was through Booking.com...which has a somewhat higher standard (that the unit actually exists and will honor a booking) than the Airbnb nonsense.