FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Missed check in and Swiss refuses to rebook
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:51 pm
snic

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by Often1
I am not sure why you are injecting politics into this.
Whatever you call it, law or politics, doesn't matter. I'm talking about ethics, which are different from both law and politics.

I think you are arguing that LX follows Swiss law, therefore the fact that they do not provide EU261 compensation to the extent that other airlines do cannot be interpreted as reluctance to compensate passengers for the inconvenience they are caused. They are as willing as any other airline to follow their country's law specifying what that compensation is.

Yet, the fact remains that LX demands absolute punctuality from its customers. It also appears to be the case that, compared to other airlines, LX nevertheless compensates its passengers less when it causes them to be delayed. If you forget about the law for a minute, you will see that there is an issue of fairness here. The EU law was meant to address that unfairness. LX might legally get away with following a different interpretation of the law, but as a consequence, its behavior towards passengers is less fair than that of other airlines.