FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott points worth so little
View Single Post
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:30 pm
tygran37

Yeah as others have all said this really 100% comes down to your personal travel habits and preferences (and budget). And ability to replenish spent points.

Personally I'd never spend 35k for a $160 room but I travel often enough to where waiting for a better redemption is fairly easy. If you don't then they are your points you do you.

As others have said I'd take a look at the 60k future cat 8s right now and plan a trip around one of those if you can? If you are set on Athens you just aren't going to get a great redemption most likely.

I actually have a Greece trip coming up... I'm paying cash for the Athens hotel and snagged a future cat 8 in Santorini for the bulk of the trip.

Ultimately if you care about good redemptions you need to have a bit of flexibility as to when/where you go. I will plan trips around good deals all day long most of the time or shift the time frame around a little to fit what's available.
However, If you are going to insist on going exactly where you want exactly when you want then expect to not find great redemptions often. But you get to go where and when you want...you decide what's more important.