FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No more climbing Uluru
View Single Post
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:42 am
Exec_Plat

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
We thought about it quite a bit. Didnt have a strong 'need' to do it, as a rock climber and hiker it would have been fun and interesting, but it really isnt much of a challenge, IMO. The allure would have been stronger if it were indeed harder or more dangerous!

One message you DO get in australia is the the aboriginal societies have had a wretched existence over the millennia, and more so since whites arrived. It felt like one of the few things they have left is the control over Katja/uluru....so Im ok with not climbing their rock.

One thing of note when I was there....i really wanted to understand the geophysical creation of this feature. I assumed that it would be covered SOMEWHERE....Not a word. It is all a Dreamtime Story presentation, the entire park is based ONLY on the aboriginal interpretation of reality. At first I was offended/annoyed. Then it made me sad.....

anyway, on this general topic- some more recent genetic testing based theories of human dispersal across the planet have addressed the history of the aborignals in Oz. Fascinating stuff. (Google is your friend)

PS We biked around the base, it was about 112F, 45C. Would not have wanted to walk in that heat....