FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Future of Dulles Airport [and Metro line]
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:10 pm
DCA writer

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
NBC 4 report: crummy concrete at Dulles Yard

NBC's Adam Tuss has a report out today that the concrete in the walls of some of the buildings in the Dulles Yard--unclear which--has started developing cracks. That's pushed back completion of the yard by another 115 days, to May 26, 2020 if I'm correctly reading the document that Tuss shared in a tweet (see below). The report also cites problems with crumbling pavement, "safety changes" needed for some platforms in yard buildings, and some crane parts imported in violation of "Buy America" contract provisions, all of which seem like less critical issues.

NBC's coverage of this can be overly dramatic--the anchors this evening asked Tuss if this and the Silver Sprint Transit Center suggest some broader failing with Metro and concrete, which seems a dumb thing to say considering that MWAA owns this project while Montgomery County botched the SSTC. Overall, I'd trust Sand Box John a little more; what are you hearing, sir? By which I mean, please please please tell me I'm not going to be waiting into 2021 to take Metro to IAD!

Last edited by DCA writer; Dec 19, 2018 at 5:11 pm Reason: I forgot FT can't handle embedded links to tweets.