FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sell me or talk me out of switch from DL to UA
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:27 pm
Wimsta

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
I can't believe you're taking a bus from LAX to BFL for the sake of flying DL over anybody else.
In 2017 I had flights canceled into or out of BFL 11 times. It was a real problem. I started using the airport bus so that I could avoid sleeping on the cold DEN floor, and so that I could be where I needed to be. Flying out of LAX may not be perfect, I really hate the airport sometimes, but I'm always able to arrive on at least the day I need to this way.

Plus I'm 6'4" and the tiny 1 x 2 planes that are common into and out of BFL are not more comfortable than a leisurely bus ride. I would usually take less convenient and more expensive flights via SFO to minimize the unpleasantness... this was a contributing factor to about half of my schedule changes. SFO does create weather challenges, though I think it is usually fog.

I teach at a University, and substitutes really aren't an option, flying out of BFL means booking a day shorter TH-M is more convenient than TH-Su...

I also really hated UA, hence the reason I switched to DL, but I can't really remember what I was so upset about.

I probably could have provided more clarity.

This coming year BFL will be my primary destination, as I'll be flying out to help my mother get her house ready for sale, and then subsequently moving her in with me.
I'm probably going out every third weekend or so.

Most of my travel in 2018 was to better places.
Because I'm a good son, however, I have routinely flown into LAX to join mom before making trips to Europe. ATL-LAX-AMS is a long day, but only a few buck more than ATL-AMS (sometimes cheaper). But that is another story, and after taking her to see her family (she is dutch) twice this year, we'll probably not go again until 2020.

Thanks for the reminder that C+ is better. On DL I can UG shortly after booking until the end of January (when PM status ends).

I do appreciate the incite. Is it really so incredible to hear I'd rather be on a bus than a 1 x 2?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 19, 2018 at 2:44 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member