FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:32 am
patmcpsu

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by anabolism
I just wanted to note that the hotel is compensated for award stays by Hilton Honors. I believe the amount of compensation depends on how full the hotel is each night of an award stay: when the occupancy rate is low, the hotel is minimally compensated (since the rooms would otherwise be vacant), and when the occupancy rate is above a threshold, the hotel receives reimbursement based on average room charges for the night, if I recall correctly.
Just to correct misinformation, the hotel is only reimbursed a nominal amount (~$50/nt) based on which brand it is. It is unrelated to occupancy.

Here is the same link I posted on this thread a couple days ago: REVEALED: How Much Hilton Reimburses Hotels When You Book Awards

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012

Well, I’ll for sure be “freeloading”. GW is free to charge whatever they want to charge and I’m free to buy or not buy as I see fit. Also, my points aren’t free, they are earned from other stays and whatever points Amex wants to give me in exchange for my spending. So me cashing in 380,000 points is me spending a form of currency. As far as how it affects GW on the backend, don’t give a rip. It looks like I’ll spend just enough to knock off my daily credit and go eat elsewhere as I please 😜
My point is not that you're screwing the hotel/Hilton over, you're ultimate screwing your fellow points-schemers. But based on the tone of your thread, you don't care as long as you get to freeload. We can leave it at that.