FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cancelling/Changing Old SPG Reservations Post Aug 18 - Points Refund Delay
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:03 am
ENIAC

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
To answer my own question, in case that helps anyone. Rather than call again, I decided to email the general MR address. Having one phone experience like that was enough and had taken more than an hour and left me in a bad mood. I kept the email simple – a request to adjust the price and credit the points, rather than a moan about the phone service.

That was Friday. Today (Tuesday) I got a helpful email announcing that “I have canceled your original certificate for 150,000 points and issued a new one for the 100,000 points.” So repricing is still possible, but how you get through to someone who knows that is a mystery. The email came from a “eService Champion” with Starwood, so maybe that indicates some level of escalation or perhaps it’s just title inflation.

That was my first interaction of any kind with Starriott since August, and it’s not filling me with enthusiasm for more. IHG has better customer service, which is such a sad decline from the glory days of SPG platinum. I’ll use the status where it makes sense, and try to burn the rest of my points, but requalifying with Hyatt is going to be my priority next year. Am keeping my three Marriott credit cards, but putting them in the drawer for the renewal nights only. Also I just realized that LTP isn’t going to get me any airline benefits next year, which is frustrating as I could have earned UA silver if I’d flown one more segment on their metal. Guess I’ve not been following these things on FT as obsessively as I used to.