FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:02 pm
Eujeanie

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by patmcpsu
Yup, I just checked my receipt and I spent $870 (after $150 credit applied) on my 5 night stay, which is roughly $1,000 of true consumption. The resort had to "eat" $150 of it, which is a 15% hit, and exactly why I'm so concerned about the benefit's sustainability. It becomes an ∞% hit (and a definite loss) if the guest only consumes what the credit covers.

Couple that with the fact that the hotel was tight-fisted about award night availability, and I get sensitive about what I'm seeing here. I'll stop repeating myself and let everyone be their own judge.

Sorry, one last edit: I'm sure the hotel turns an overall profit. But if award stays are seen as attracting the worst customers, "our kind" will be seen as a cost-center that they will want to minimize (no matter how profitable their "good" customers make them).
I doubt there are that many people who go off site for all their meals and spend nothing. What's the point? You might as well have gotten a condo with a kitchen somewhere. I'm not going to sit by the pool and not have a drink, not get a spa treatment, not eat some dinners in, not to go to the bars for happy hour. And in terms of them offering specials and deals, well, they are offering it, why should I not take advantage?