FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:34 pm
patmcpsu

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Well, you can't blame me...on most of our 5 night all points stays we spend well over $1,000 on whatever. Easy to do.
Yup, I just checked my receipt and I spent $870 (after $150 credit applied) on my 5 night stay, which is roughly $1,000 of true consumption. The resort had to "eat" $150 of it, which is a 15% hit, and exactly why I'm so concerned about the benefit's sustainability. It becomes an ∞% hit (and a definite loss) if the guest only consumes what the credit covers.

Couple that with the fact that the hotel was tight-fisted about award night availability, and I get sensitive about what I'm seeing here. I'll stop repeating myself and let everyone be their own judge.

Sorry, one last edit: I'm sure the hotel turns an overall profit. But if award stays are seen as attracting the worst customers, "our kind" will be seen as a cost-center that they will want to minimize (no matter how profitable their "good" customers make them).

Last edited by patmcpsu; Dec 17, 2018 at 1:42 pm Reason: added edit