FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:34 pm
patmcpsu

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by smmrfld

Characterizing those who don’t buy into your (misguided, IME) definition of proper travel behavior as “cheapskates” dramatically reduces your credibility.
I'm not telling you what proper travel is. I'm telling you what improper travel is. Trust me, I've stayed in my share of 2 and 3 star shoeboxes throughout Europe and Japan, while eating quick/cheap meals. There's a time and a place to pinch pennies.

Staying at a high-end resort in Hawaii on points, and only consuming whatever food credit they give you, is tacky and potentially ruins it for the rest of us. I'm not telling you to spend money at the resort because I'm a snob, I'm telling you because the resort surely operates at a loss whenever the freeloaders show up, and they'll tighten the rules on everyone as a result.

EDIT: Here's an estimate on what Hilton reimburses properties on award stays (about $50/nt in this case) REVEALED: How Much Hilton Reimburses Hotels When You Book Awards

Last edited by patmcpsu; Dec 17, 2018 at 12:45 pm Reason: added link