FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Southwest refused to pay for laptop after FA spilled drink on it
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:42 am
scrapperluv

Southwest refused to pay for laptop after FA spilled drink on it

Hi all, I was flying with my kids from LA to Nashville for the Thanksgiving. I was in the aisle seat and the flight attendant reached over my laptop (open on the tray table) and spilled Dr. Pepper all over the keyboard. He was trying to hand it to my son who in the window seat. I immediately turned it upside-down & turned it off, then asked him for an incident report. He refused to document the incident and told me to speak with the luggage office at the airport when we landed. I did speak with them but they wouldn't give me any documentation and told me to call customer relations the next day.

I went home and emailed customer service, then called customer relations the next day. Customer relations said customer service had my case already and they wouldn't discuss it. A week later, I received this

Thank you for your email in regard to your recent experience traveling to Nashville. I welcome the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

We are sorry to learn that your laptop was damaged onboard Flight #5802 on November 25. While I certainly understand how disappointing this is for you, it is important to note that carryon luggage is the sole responsibility of the Customer, and we do not provide reimbursement for damage to/loss of carryon items.

While we are unable to respond favorably to your request for reimbursement, if you have other resources, such as homeowners’ insurance, you might check to see if compensation is available to you by this means. Still, retaining your future patronage is very important to us. As a gesture of goodwill, we’ve Southwest LUV Voucher in the amount of $225.84, which is equivalent to your one-way fare. This will arrive in a separate email within the next 10 days and instructions for use will be detailed on the voucher. Our hope is that you will use this to return for a better, more typical Southwest experience.

We appreciate your loyalty, and we are confident that more favorable circumstances will prevail on future travels with Southwest Airlines. We look forward to welcoming you onboard again on December 23.

Sincerely,
(redacted by nsx)

This is unacceptable. My laptop was a Macbook Air and only 14 months old and now it won't function. I have an attorney I'm using for another issue at this time and she recommended filing in small claims court, then updating her if I need help. I don't know if it's worth paying for her advice at this point, but I will if it'll help. Is it worth filing in small claims court and the hassle? I've been reading that Southwest is terrible about covering damage they've caused and even counter-sue for attorney's fee, etc. Would love some advice. Thanks!

Last edited by nsx; Dec 17, 2018 at 4:25 pm