FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:34 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Martellus
Anyone know if QR opens up last-minute availability? Looking to add an extra leg to my flight in 4 days - revenue flights are *wide* open but I'm wondering if QR has a habit of opening them up if they haven't been bought yet.
Try using Search This Thread with "last-minute" (in quotes) as what you search on. You'll get several results, including on where someone found it but AA screwed the booking.

Of course, just because it happens sometimes does not prove that it happens dependably. You should try searching for dates closer in that yours and see what the pattern is (though patterns may sometimes vary based on the day of the week and such).

I'm not sure but I think there are many situations where QR opens availability only its own QMiles holders, not to partners such as AA. There's no oneworld rule that says any award availability has to be the same for all of oneworld, so many airlines in oneworld release more availability to their own members than to their oneworld (or other) partners. That's why you should never search for availability at the site of the airline you want to book on, if you don't have that airline's miles. Ie, never look for BA availability with AA miles on BA, only on QF or elsewhere, and never look for QF availability with AA miles on QF, only on BA or elsewhere.