FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anselmo Buenos Aires, Curio Collection by Hilton {ARG}
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:59 am
escape4

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Anselmo Buenos Aires (Curio Collection) = Good Hotel Despite Limited Diamond Benefits

Introduction I am normally not a big fan of hotels with limited elite perks so the Curio hotel in Buenos Aires was originally not be very high on my list of options given that I had read they are stingy with suite upgrades for Diamonds and there is no lounge, unlike the nearby full service Hilton. However rates for my dates at Hilton were almost as high as Park Hyatt where I was going next on my trip and at that price level I had a preference for PH not Hilton; rates at Curio were three times cheaper than Hilton and reviews of Curio quite good so I tried the Curio brand for the first time. I was not disappointed. Dining We arrived at 10:40am and normally breakfast ends at 10:30am. Our room was not ready so we were invited to wait at the café downstairs where breakfast is served and they were generous enough to keep food out until 11am, providing us enough time to enjoy breakfast while we waited for our room. At that time of day breakfast was peaceful and quiet and we found that food offerings were decent for a hotel within this price range. In addition to standard breakfast items, there were a few minor extras that I appreciated for example roasted veggies. I would note that unlike comments earlier in this thread, they do have yogurt for breakfast now. When we went to breakfast on other days, it was more crowded than the day we arrived but they have some tables in the inner courtyard for people who want to eat outside which is nice. Common Areas The hotel opened only 3 years ago and it is in good condition. Overall it is quite small and has a nice charming boutique feel to it. There is a pool table near the restaurant, also in the hallways walls are made of brick and at the edge of the walls the floor is made of thick glass so you can see floors below, which is interesting. This property is far from cookie-cutter and I enjoyed the atmosphere. Room I booked the standard room and got the standard room despite suites being available online at time of check-in. We got our room at noon so I was happy with the early check-in I did not ask about suites. The room is not very large but it is fine. There are a few quirky features which goes along with the overall uniqueness of the hotel, for example the ceiling is unfinished concrete and the walk-in shower has a wood floor. The water pressure was excellent in fact so strong that given the lack of door to the shower, water leaked out of the shower and near the toilet. The rest of the room has hardwood floor which gives a clean and crisp feeling. From our room we had a view of the inner courtyard of the hotel near the restaurant. We received a Diamond amenity : a half bottle of Malbec and a fruit bowl. Soundproofing is not the best so it could be seen as a downside of this hotel. Gym The hotel used to have a tiny gym but during our visit it was closed. We were informed that they are in the process of building a new one which will be larger. In the mean time, guests can go to a gym somewhere in another building a couple of blocks away for free. We did not go. Location This was our first visit to BA so we are not very familiar with the city. Regarding the location I would say it was enjoyable to be in the middle of a nice neighborhood but public transportation is not very close. Anyway I thought it was a decent location for first time visitors because you get a feel of life in the city rather than being in a major tourist location. Overall Overall the Diamond benefits at this hotel will not wow anybody particularly because of the lack of meaningful room upgrades. This will generally mean I am not very attracted to such hotels, but given the price tag I cannot complain. This hotel is not perfect but I think it’s solid value and I would recommend it.