FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA HKG-PEK/ICN/TYO-DFW-MEX/GDL/CUN r/t $1,845
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:25 pm
flyingeph12

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by rbauergz
Used this thread to buy HKG-LAX-JFK-DFW-MEX. I noticed that there is first class on the transcon and called EP desk about upgrading to First on those two flights only. The agent couldn't make anything wait list, much less go through. I asked about using 500 mile certificates, she said doesn't apply if EP. Then she mentioned using miles +$75 and said it wouldn't let her even enter it. Anybody know of any language to use to help EP desk get me on the upgrade to First LAX JFK or is it really not even possible? If it's not even possible, anybody have experience on the transcon and getting some sleep?
First, there are no sticker upgrades to first, so that’s not an option.

I’m not entirely sure what’s going on given the details you’ve given, but if you are trying to upgrade using miles and cash, the problem might be that you are requesting a wholly within North America upgrade, when your actual “one-way” trip is Asia to North America. Normally, if the international leg does not have availability, everything is waitlisted; however, the agent should be able to force through the domestic upgrade only (so long as you pay the requisite mileage and cash for an upgrade between Asia and North America). Of course, you should be able to be waitlisted for the international upgrade (although clearance is not necessarily automatic in this case because the upgrade certificate has already been issued and the ticket re-ticketed, so you do need to monitor and call in).

If you are trying to use an SWU, again the agent should be able to clear just the domestic leg and waitlist the international leg(s).

Of course, the other issue is that SWUs/mileage upgrades are good only for three segments, and you have four, but I would think that that shouldn’t prevent you using an upgrade instrument on 3 of the 4 segments.

I would call back and be very specific that you want to clear just the domestic leg, even if the international upgrade is not available. If the first agent can’t help you, ask for a supervisor.

In terms of the business class seat, it’s lie-flat, so you should be able to sleep well. The big difference between J and F is that J is 2-2, while F is 1-1, so if you want to minimize potential disruption, I would choose a window seat. Regardless of the cabin, it’s under five hours flying time normally, so a short night either way.