FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling to the UK and Ireland next March - should we get a proper chip & pin card?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:53 pm
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Maayan
I spent last week in London. In most places I paid with my Chase Sapphire Reserve card as a contactless card via Google Pay on my Android phone. It worked everywhere except on the public transport (tube) gates. Other cards in my Google Pay worked on the tube gates just fine, so it's something about CSR that isn't quite right. I also paid contactless (with the CSR) for a hotel, around 200 pounds in one charge, so I haven't encountered a limit.
I had no problems on the Underground with my CSR and Apple Pay last year, though I re-added my card before leaving. I'm on Android now but scanning Google Pay's version of my CSR shows many of the same offline authentication related data elements as Apple Pay's did, so I suspect there won't be issues as long as your phone gets an internet connection occasionally. (Unlike with Apple Pay, Google Pay is implemented using HCE, so the number of offline/airplane mode transactions is limited.)