FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Interesting Court Decision In Germany - Passenger does not need to fly last leg
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:54 pm
KeaneJohn

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Tafflyer

Be careful when using the word Fraud. First of all, now the CoC terms have been found invalid, there is no question any more of this even being breach of contract. Secondly, the airlines choose to make tickets on indirect routings cheaper than direct. Taking advantage of that is neither fraudulent nor immoral. Thirdly, not taking a final sector of a journey will save the airline fuel you have paid for flying an empty seat you gave paid for. Failure to use what you have purchased is no reason to retrospectively change the price at which an airline was earlier prepared to sell you transportation. If airlines could sell all the seats to point-to-point passengers for inflated prices they would do so. They sell indirect routings cheaper to fill their aircraft.
i said perceive to be fraud.

Since I started flying even budget I flew Icelandair London to Reykjavik to New York and Gulf Air London To Bahrain to Bangkok to Hong Kong as it was cheaper than flying direct and yes airlines price accordingly to get bums on seats.

If the CoC become an area of vagueness for airlines to curb this they could consider other options : they could change earning levels for people not living in the country of departure , increase thresholds for tiers , only award TP/Avios on completed itineraries once they’ve been completed etc etc.

They could make it compulsory for all ex Eu to visit a check in desk rendering B2B virtually impossible s

The argument of fuel saving is fake news because the revenuewould have been significantly higher on an AMS-LHR-MIA-LHR journeynthsn it would have been on an AMS-LHR-MIA-LHR-AMS booking.

If there were no TP or Avios awarded because you dropped the last leg would people really still fly OTP to PHX for 24 hours.

Airlines are not stupid. Nobody wants to be the test for legislation that could impact everybody but as sure as night follows day if legislation makes abuse of ex Eus easier they are not going to toll over blindly and be the victim.